“Despite the forecast, live like it’s spring.” — Lilly Pulitzer
10 Ways to Jump Start Your Spring Board Prep:
- Know Where You Stand….have you been preparing to take your boards for awhile now? You might know more than you think. Try an official practice test to gauge what you know: Click here to sign up to take an ASAP (ABRET Self Assessment Program) Practice Test.
- Break Up The Soil…..definitely don’t Dig A Hole for yourself – by this I am referring to costs ($$). There are a ton of free or inexpensive Resources out there for either entering into this field or preparing to take your board exam to become Registered. Click here to access the Resource Library on the Neurodiagnostic Niche to get started with some recommended sites.
- Plant the Seed…put a plan in place. Start with deciding when you want to sit for your exam then work backwards with monthly goals to get you there. Not sure how the exam works? The ABRET 2021 Handbook is the best place to start. Click on the link to access the Exam Handbook and Outline.
- Water Regularly….weekly and monthly goals. It is a lot of material – break down each section on the Exam Outline and address them regularly.
- Provide Nutrients…. Make Notecards as you prepare and Review them often.
- Be Patient…becoming an R.EEG T takes experience. Employers expect registered technicians to know their stuff – to be leaders in their labs. This is not something that is obtained through a Quick Course. Find a mentor, gain that experience, and put in the work. Time will help prepare you.
- Uproot Weeds…Preparing for your boards can feel like a chore – but tackle these tasks daily. Every patient you record can be a learning opportunity. Talk to your doctor’s about their patients. If you don’t have access to doctors to do that – review the EEG reports on your tests. Did you see what they saw? Interested in a Record Review Tutoring Session? Click here to schedule.
- Prune Often…wasting a lot of time on Social Media? I wrote a post on this last year: Meant For More
- Take Root…take a practice exam again – you’ll be surprised at how much you now know. However, if you don’t do as well as you had hoped on the practice test – repeat steps 2-8. The test is expensive – you only want to take it once.
- Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labor…once you have earned the credentials – it is time for a pay increase! Ask your current employer for one if they don’t automatically adjust your hourly. There are more jobs than there are technologists – it is nice to be needed! : )
Let’s Stay Curious and Grow What We Know